H2S Safety Supervisor
The primary role of a H2S Safety Supervisor is to ensure crews safety while the threat of H2S gas or likely to be........
The primary role of a H2S Safety Supervisor is to ensure crews safety while the threat of H2S gas is present or likely to be present. The H2S Safety Supervisor's main tool is their airtrailer, which contains compressed breathing air, and equipment to protect against the gas. H2S Safety Supervisors ensure crews have adequate training on breathing air equipment, set up electronic monitoring equipment, set up emergency rescue plans, provide back up to crews while under air, participate in safety meetings, and take on a general safety role while on location. They can typically expect to work 12 hours per day (though it can be more or less), with up to 24 days between rotations.
- H2S Alive
- WHMIS (company specific)
- TDG (company specific)
- Class 5 driver's license with clean driver's abstract
Roles and Responsibilities
An H2S Safety Supervisor’s main role while on a job site with H2S Gas is to ensure the safety of crew for which he/she is responsible. The H2S Safety Supervisor’s tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Briefing and educating crews on the dangers of working in an H2S environment
- Setting up and monitoring of gas detection equipment
- Being an active participant in site safety meetings
- Planning and organizing rescue in the event of an H2S emergency
- Testing the environment for the presence of H2S gas
- Providing continuous monitoring of crews wearing Self Contained Breathing Apparatus and/or Supplied Air Breathing Apparatus
- Working in close proximity of all aspects of the oil and gas industry
- Operating company equipment in a safe manner
- Following all company Health and Safety Policies
Character TraitsH2S Safety Supervisors should portray the following traits:
- Work well under pressure and remain calm in emergencies
- Have good communication skills
- Be safety conscious
- Excellent problem solving and decision making skills
- Be able to “think on his/her feet”
- An H2S Safety Supervisor should maintain a reasonable level of fitness.
- He/she must be able to stand for extended periods of time and work in adverse weather conditions.
- An H2S Safety Supervisor must also be able to work several consecutive 12 hour shifts and be able to work both day and night shifts.
- He/she must be able to physically perform a rescue of a worker.
- He/should also have a normal color vision to distinguish color coded safety systems.
- Valid Class 5 Drivers Licence & Current (within 3 months) Drivers Abstract
- Current H2S Alive Ticket
- Current First Aid Ticket
- Petroleum Safety Training (PST)
- WHMIS & TDG
This is a “safety sensitive” position and the candidate must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test